Huntington Junior College Grade Appeal Policy
- This policy is designed to provide students at Huntington Junior College (HJC) with a fair and transparent process for appealing their course grades when they believe an error or injustice has occurred.
- All registered students of HJC who have received a final course grade may initiate a grade appeal.
3. Grounds for Appeal
- Grade appeals may be initiated based on the following grounds:
- Clerical errors in grade calculation or recording.
- Allegations of unfair grading practices inconsistent with the course syllabus or college policies.
- The instructor has demonstrated discrimination, bias, or unethical conduct that has affected the grade.
4. Grade Appeal Procedure
- Students must follow these steps to initiate a grade appeal:
- No later than 14 days after final grades have been published, the student must submit a written appeal to the instructor who assigned the grade. The appeal should include a clear statement of the grounds for the appeal and any supporting evidence.
- The instructor must respond to the appeal within one week either by reconsidering the grade or providing a written explanation for their decision.
- If the student is not satisfied with the instructor's response or is outside the allotted time, the student may proceed to the next step.
- The student may then submit a formal written appeal to the Office of the Chief Academic Officer within 7 days of receiving the instructor’s response. This appeal should include all previous correspondence and any additional information or evidence.
- The Chief Academic Officer or their designee will appoint an impartial review committee to evaluate the appeal.
- The review committee will conduct a thorough examination of the appeal and may request input from the instructor and student.
- The review committee will give the student and instructor a written decision within 7 days of receiving of receiving the appeal.
- The decision of the review committee is final.
- All parties involved in the grade appeal process must maintain confidentiality to the extent possible.
- Students who initiate grade appeals are protected from retaliation for exercising their right to appeal.
7. Record Keeping
- HJC will maintain records of grade appeals and their resolutions for future reference and compliance.
- This grade appeal policy is intended to ensure a fair and transparent process for students at Huntington Junior College to address concerns regarding their course grades.